Sunday, October 14, 2007

Flickr

Is it really so much effort that we need to eliminate that extra "e" from the real word flicker? Do we really need to keep confusing our children about spelling? I embrace the curmudgeon in me. I do.

Here's the link to my Uptown Minneapolis slideshow. I chose Uptown because one of my creative writing classes last year picked Uptown as the location for their group story, but very few students had actually been there. (Even though it's only 20 minutes from Champlin). Finding money for a bus to go there was not an option (time, money, permission) so this would have been a good alternative. At least for them to get the feel of place. Since I used to live there, I was their main resource for place-related questions. The photos I chose are all places/events that resonate with me when I think of my old neighborhood.

This time around, my group has picked a common event to write about. We're still in the brainstorming process as to what that will be, but I'm excited--they're a bright group and I think we'll get some really interesting interactions. I've set up the wiki (see previous post) in a very bare bones way, and tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to show them how it works. Maybe over MEA they can have some homework involving posting info on the wiki.

But back to Flickr. I'm not sure if it's blocked in my district. I'll have to check that out. But using images from Flickr (if it isn't blocked) could be a great addition to the wiki for the creative writing project. I have found with this project that the more images we have in common, the richer the connections in the story.

Re: the reading for this week... I like Selfe's assignment about creating a visual argument. In 9th grade we have a weak non-fiction unit that needs some serious life blood pumped into it. There's so much potential for really important learning, but we're bogged down by the district curriculum. I'm about to have my 3rd swipe at this unit (twice last year b/c of block scheduling) and there has been NO TIME to give it CPR. The visual argument could be a great way to talk about emotional and logical appeals as well as advertising...

2 comments:

david said...

I have such a different experience when it comes to curriculum, as you know Nicole. I certainly get the freedom to do what I like, but then I also get little guidance or support in way of curriculum. And, I've got to go three years before I can re-use stuff.

In effect, I wind up not having time to plan for all the cool ideas I have, especially anything labor intensive.

It always comes down to time, doesn't it? I think if I could just teach one or two classes a day they would be unbelievably cool.

I'm going to try to fit in the visual argument stuff, though. I'm such a auditory person, its nice to have something concrete for all those visual students of mine.

Gina said...

I agree...can't they just put the "e" in Flickr???? ;-)

I read your blog and just wanted to comment abou tthe visual argument...I think it has potential. I'm thinking about trying it with my 9th grade government classes on some topic.

You will have to let me know how your students respond to wikis. I don't know if they could handle another technology piece placed in their laps by me and the district.