Friday, November 2, 2007

Podcasts

Oh my god. I found someone dorkier than me. His name is Luke Taylor and he creates the "Grammar Grater" podcast for MPR. Now, I know what you're saying, "Geez, Nicole, what were you thinking?" But I really like grammar. It's the math part of my brain. So I thought I'd dig it. But his delivery is so peDANtic and scripted and the jokes are all kinds of lame. Worst part: I didn't learn anything. Sigh.

Then I listened to the Bob and Rob show, which attracted me because it rhymed. Then I saw it was a "Yankee and a Brit" and this made me very excited. Their show is much different from Grammar Grater because it's a conversation and not a recitation. However, I hate the sound effects and laugh track. Why do we need that? After I listened to a couple snippets of shows, I saw that their intended audience is English Language Learners. What a cool way for people learning English to enrich their understanding of the English language. I admit it made me less interested for my personal use, however.

I sampled this and that, coming to the conclusion that I can see doing podcasts with students because once you read your writing out loud, you hear where you can make improvements. If students are recording their writing, I imagine they'll be even more committed to writing well (because of the audience piece).

But how...
-creative writers (maybe CW2) could record podcasts of their poetry
-creative writers could create their own radio dramas
-9th grade? Boy, it's so tough to think of them because of the curriculum monster that I wish would stay under the bed or in the closet, but continues to make himself at home everywhere. Romeo and Juliet, maybe? Maybe they could do modernizations and make radio dramas.

As for my own podcast, I could interview my mom (whose life has always been very interesting) or my sister. She has a brand new job as a morning DJ and this has changed her in various ways.

Or I could do a diatribe of some sort.

1 comment:

david said...

You? Diatribe?





Actually you don't really rant much, maybe less than me... maybe.

I like your thoughts on using podcasts for ELL students. Really good ideas.

I wonder how I could fit that in. I find that my ELL class takes WAY longer to do anything than I think they will. Like, maybe a factor of ten longer. Guess I just need to reevaluate how I plan for that class...