Monday, September 10, 2007

Jet Lag


http://mefeedia.com/entry/3487995/

So I'm greeted with this burly, hairy, fairly scary bear-like man holding a cellphone in front of his face, and oddly, am immediately charmed. I like this vlog because I like this guy. He's real. He's suffering from jet lag, which sucks. It especially sucks going from the east to the west, but he lives in London, and was in Canada, so it really shouldn't be so bad, but he isn't strong enough to stay up all day to sleep normally at night. And I like that. I guess I like the human frailty of it.

We're all supposed to be so strong, you know? Or at least maybe I feel I'm supposed to be so strong. Do what's right. Follow the rules. And this guy doesn't, even though he knows it's best. He hates the dark outside. He calls it, "post-apocalyptic." He's very dramatic, which I also like. I like people telling me what's going on in their heads and not making me guess. He's all out. And a little crazy. I like that, too. In fact, he's happier to be back online than he is to be home. Interesting the comfort online can bring. I felt that, too, when I came home from Europe. I was connected again. Thank god. Sigh.

Who is the audience for this vlog? Good question. His friends, other fellow jet-laggers (that's what caught my eye--I had some hard core jet lag coming back from Ireland this summer). Maybe night owls, insomniacs.

His techniques are very basic. He shoots himself in the mirror with his cellphone, then swivels around to just himself without the reflection. No editing, no fancy camera work. It's raw. Raw footage, raw emotion. Indecision. "Should I go for pizza? I can't go outside and face these people..." The filming techniques are an effective choice because they parallels his state of mind. Them: raw, basic, unadulterated. Him: raw, basic, very hairy.

I took a look at a number of blogs, but the personal interest ones attract me the most. I think the political ones can be important, and the whole citizen reporter thing is intriguing. But I'm a trained actor first, and I'm drawn to the study of humans and how they tick.

No comments: